The Trial of Laura Ling and Euna Lee


I've been following the story of Laura Ling and Euna Lee -- two journalists imprisoned in North Korea who, whether they like it or not, are now at the center of the United States diplomatic efforts to curtail North Korea's nuclear weapons program.

Their trial starts tomorrow, and as I was poking around the web getting the scoop, I found this excerpt from a letter Ling sent her family.
When I first got here, I cried so much. Now, I cry less. I try very hard to think about positive things, but sometimes it is hard too. Some days I get to go outside and get some fresh air. In the early evening, I do some stretching. I also sit and meditate. I breathe deeply and think about positive things that have happened in the day. For example, I think “I’m lucky I made it through another day.” I’m lucky my family is working so hard to get me released. I’m thinking about you all constantly and how fortunate I am to have an amazing family. Stay strong and please take care of yourselves. That is my request. Know that I’m thinking of you and dreaming about being reunited with you all again.

All my love,
Laura

I was struck by the power of a stretch and a moment of quiet had on her attitude and how gratitude was helping her cope. I hope we can bring and Laura and Euna home soon.

1 comment: