Youth Knows No Pain



Don't miss the August 31st HBO premiere of Mitch McCabe's documentary Youth Knows No Pain. I interviewed McCabe recently for an anti-aging piece I did for the Los Angeles Times and while I knew I liked her then, I saw the film a couple nights ago and was mesmerized by her reporting style. Her ultra-casual manner, intense curiosity, and subtle wit created the perfect venue for her characters to emerge during this personality-driven documentary about how we're obsessed with preventing the inevitable -- the fine lines, the wrinkles, the grey hair, the spread -- you get the picture.

I have to admit after writing my Los Angeles Times story and seeing the movie, I've been thinking more and more about these issues and getting pissed. Annie Tomlin, the ever-inspiring editor of Bella Sugar, convinced me yes! there are others out there who are angry about the social pressure women feel to look younger. But it's hard to remember when one considers the phenomenal sales of annoying books like Charla Krupp's How Not to Look Old.

While McCade does profile both men and women who get cosmetic surgery, I suspect the motivation differs between the genders, a point she fails to address. Certainly statistics prove women are getting more cosmetic interventions than men. According to the American Soceity for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, in 2008 alone, over 355,000 women had breast augmentation whereas only 18,000 men had hair transplants. Boobs or hair? I guess the mammaries win. Besides, how much time and money do we women spend removing hair? (That's another story.)

Ultimately, the film pointed out the contradiction that is my life -- I'm vain and I also succumb to the pressure. I knew this was sadly so when I couldn't stop thinking how absolutely fabulous Allure's legendary beauty writer Joan Kron, 81, looked during her cameo and then my next thought: I'm due for some botox. Crows feet begone! So complicated....

1 comment:

  1. Recognized as one of the finest Yoga retreats in the world, sivanandabahamas is dedicated to promoting the authentic spiritual tradition of Yoga, in an environment normally associated with an exclusive star hotel. We endeavour to embody the spiritual tradition of Athithi devo Bhava (serving the Guest as an embodiment of the Divine) and the staff at sivanandabahamas are trying to practice all facets of Yoga in their daily lives. At sivanandabahamas, you get a unique insight into Yoga, irrespective of whether you are a beginner or have practiced for many years.

    sivanandabahamas is situated in bahamas where the emphasis is to live an ashram style life (daily yoga, meditation sessions, chanting classes, organic vegetarian food, no alcohol, community service, farming etc.) in private, serene and "simply" luxurious accommodation and facilities. In a typical Yoga Retreat, guests practice different facets of Yoga - for physical strength, balance and flexibility, for physiological & therapeutic benefits and if they are interested, for pursuing a spiritual path through various types of meditation.
    yoga retreat

    ReplyDelete