Fit For Duty Military Style Yoga



Lately, I've been lazy about my home yoga practice. Motivation eludes me but with my new Apple T.V. I decided to take it easy and look for free yoga video podcasts that essentially do the sequencing for me. All I have to do is roll out my mat and follow along

So I browsed around, found snippets here and there -- a sequence from everyone's favorite controversial yogi Tara Stiles (who I really like) and one called The Magic Ten from Jivamukti's Sharon Gannon. Then I stumbled upon something called The Pentagon Channel and found a Yoga podcast from a military-designed series called Fit For Duty (it's podcast #7 at this itunes link).  

Fit for Duty Yoga is a solid, well-conceived 25 minute asana session shot on a beautiful beach on the base in Coronado, San Diego. The work-out emphasizes core training with great technique and a no nonsense, no sanskrit, yet extremely kind approach. Sure there are a couple reminders to engage your abs "like you're bracing for a punch in the stomach" but then Major Lisa Lourey reminds us "there's no beating in yoga".  

With sensible modifications and well-meaning encouragements like "if this pose isn't for you, don't worry about it," this podcast is what a home practice is all about: no worries and no military formation necessary. 



4 comments:

  1. Hi Stacie,
    I'd never heard of your controversial yogi Tara Stiles before, so I checked her out.
    My back hardly ever hurts, but it was hurting today, so I checked out her early morning gentle for the back yoga.
    Full forward fold from standing with arms overhead ( the first part of surya namaskar) was the first movement. This is quite likely the hardest movement there could be for someone with back pain.
    She has a soothing voice though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sutat,
    Sorry Tara wasn't so clued into the dos and don'ts of back pain issues. You're lucky you have the fitness background to know what you can and can't do in such situations.

    The main reason I like Tara (and the reason others criticize her) is that she has a real open heart about making yoga accessible to lots of people and isn't so tied down by the serious purist perspective that can often be so tedious. Here's an article about her that appeared in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/nyregion/23stretch.html

    And thanks for commenting.

    Hope you're swell.

    Best,

    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sivananda ashram Yoga retreat Bahamas offers course of deaf yoga retreat with Lila Lolling, an experienced yoga teacher and the founder of Deaf Yoga Foundation

    retreat yoga

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I have been contemplating checking out these yoga podcasts but I just feel it will be a big let down. I keep seeing little ads for them and I know people do it at home all the time. But I just feel that yoga is best in a studio and classroom environment. Maybe I'm just old fashioned?

    ReplyDelete