Patty Schemel Lived Through This


I saw a screening of the documentary Hit So Hard and boy, it was so juicy I pitched a Q&A with Hole drummer Patty Schemel for the new web magazine The Fix. I wanted to hear what she had to say about addiction and recovery since the film profiles Schemel as she grapples with drugs, coming out and her trajectory from rock goddess to street crack whore.

The film showcases her close relationship with Kurt Cobain and the footage of Cobain and Courtney Love is beyond intimate as we see jolting images of the couple sprawled in the play pen with their daughter Frances Bean.Then there's the can't-take-your-eyes off of Love interview where she ravenously eats cookies in her suite at the Mercer Hotel with self-applied make-up that makes her look into a technicolor punk-gone-awry clown.

Like many bands, Hole's dysfunctional family dynamic causes pain and chaos but Schemel's biting humor and her raw revelations make her a sympathetic talent you won't forget. I will say it's hard to reconcile the behind-the-scenes dread and the drug-addled lifestyle with a musical genre that was seminal for so many.Maybe Eddie Vedder was right when he said, "Any generation that would pick Kurt or me as its spokesman, that generation must be really fucked up."

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for finally talking about > "Patty Schemel Lived Through This" < Liked it!

    Also visit my weblog :: huisje in frankrijk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Finally someone writes about laughing.

    Have a look at my site: luxe vakantiehuizen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with
    us so I came to give it a look. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting
    this to my followers! Exceptional blog and superb design and style.


    my web site: vakantiehuisje frankrijk

    ReplyDelete